12 December 2007

Wendy killed my nickname

I'm not bitter about it, but I've really only had one decent nickname in my life and I liked it a lot, and Wendy quite inadvertantly killed it off. (Marty, as a shortened form of Martin, doesn't count because they're practically the same thing.)

When I joined the army at the age of 18, my fellow soldiers gave me the nickname Scotty because of my Scottish accent. I quite liked that and soon started referring to myself as Scotty. You just sort of do that without thinking about it. You get used to being known by the nickname and it comes out automatically whenever you meet someone. I became so used to it that being called by my real name seemed strange, almost wrong. Of course my family still used my real name, but they lived interstate and by the time I left the Army, all of my friends and colleagues knew me as Scotty. Most of my friends didn’t even know my real name.

After I left the Army I moved back to my home state and started attending university. I was still calling myself Scotty and all my classmates knew me as such. One of my classmates introduced me to a friend of hers called Wendy. My classmate thought that Wendy and I would make a good couple, but we didn’t really hit it off in that way. We became friends though and had lunch together every Tuesday. Wendy has a personal policy of never using nicknames. I suspect that is because you can’t make anything out of Wendy, but I don’t know for sure. Anyway, my classmate introduced me as Scotty, but Wendy started calling me Scott, thinking that must be my real name. I said “I'm not Scott, I'm Scotty.” She said “I don’t use nicknames.” and I said “Well my real name isn’t Scott, it’s Marty.” So Wendy calls me Martin. Shortly after that, Wendy introduced me, as Martin, to her friend, Debbie, who later became my wife. So Debbie and her family have always called me Martin.

Now Scotty is dead and Wendy has moved to Tasmania.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay, good to see you're back :) I'll be reading (although I don't comment often, sorry). I can't call you Scotty I'm afraid, as my big brother is Scott and mum hated it when people called him Scotty as it "sounds like a dogs name" apparently. And it would be weird to not call you Martin.

Anonymous said...

Hey there Scotty!,
I knew your army mates called you Scotty but didn't realize that it went way beyond that!
I have no problems calling you Scotty (if I remember! I mean a 30yr old habbit will be kinda hard to break!) Rusty has mates that don't know his real name or at least would struggle to remember it! In fact I don't even call him by his real name... 'cos it's is weird ...no, not his real name
...me calling him Bryan.

Love Ya,
Anniepannie

MartyBanana said...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to revive my old nickname. I just thought it was interesting that one person could inadvertantly kill it off like that.

Incidentally, I know one woman who calls her husband 'Mac' and another woman who calls her husband 'Butts', so you're not alone Anniepannie.

Karen said...

Knew you'd be back.
Excellent.
Funny story about your name, because I met you six weeks after Debbie, so you were Martin.
So I've been wondering what this Marty thing is all about.
Your story brought me back to when I visited 300 years ago.
I should also go back to blogging. I started again and now haven't for awhile.
I'm scouting about for vacation spots for the New Year - again, send Debbie to hang with me in Fiji. Or, better yet, Hawaii. She needs a break! And I need to see her!
Marty, funny.
Karen

Post a Comment