10 September 2008

It's the end of the world as we know it...and I feel fidgety.

It was always going to happen. It was just a matter of when. It might be now. It might be some time in the future that scientists destroy the world, but it might be right now. The Large Hadron Collider will be switched on tonight and even the scientists who designed and built it don’t know for sure what will happen. Despite that not knowing they are 100% sure that nothing bad will happen. I wonder about that. “I don’t know what will happen. Nothing bad will happen.” Is that credible? It seems like the Bay of Pigs fiasco all over again. A government think tank in Washington said that the Bay of Pigs invasion would work but it didn’t and it turns out that the think tank only thought that it would because they had convinced themselves that they were right, despite the evidence showing that they were wrong. Psychologists call it “group think”, I think. I learned about it at Uni. The boffins at CERN have convinced themselves that nothing bad will happen, but they also admit that they don’t know exactly what will happen. That worries me. They say that they want to know what happened a billionth of a second after the “Big Bang” so they are trying to replicate the “Big Bang”. I’m not sure recreating the universe from scratch is a good idea.

If the world ends tomorrow none of us will have any regrets because we will all be dead. I just hope it happens in an instant and not a kind of “Oh dear, we seem to have created a black hole that is starting to consume the planet and will be finished by about tea time tomorrow. Sorry.” The mass panic would be horrendous. Probably best not to say anything in that case. “Oh yes, everything went splendidly. Marvellous result. Sorry about the mess, we’ll clean that up on Monday. I promise.” So beware. If the CERN mob start telling the world that everything went remarkably well we should all be very, very concerned.

7 comments:

Taz said...

Hmmm, good excuse for a party really. Pity they didn't give us more notice the end of the world was coming - I would have organised something. =)

Anonymous said...

Ummm does this mean I should not pay my bills and go buy the stuff I really want instead? ....but then if it's not the end I'll still have my bills to pay and no money....Urrgh. ...Oh what to do? Anniepannie. X

His Girl Friday said...

oh, did I miss the news on this?

actually, I was just in a head-on wreck (2 weeks ago)which totalled my truck, so I'm glad to be here posting at all, even though it might be the end of the world tonite.... :/ :)

Anonymous said...

daaaaaaaad

seeing as were all still alive, i think its about time you updated your blog. im bored and need something to read

and the gibber needs to go online so i can read that too :D

Anonymous said...

Hi there, looking for an update on your City to Bay run this year. Tried finding you name in the paper but after a while all the names just all blend together. Noah ran it this year and did pretty well.
Jo

MartyBanana said...

Yeah, didn't make it to Adelaide for the City-Bay this year. Unfortunately my training was interrupted by three major illnesses; two of them mine and one of them Liam's. Looking forward to next year, though.

Anonymous said...

Buying new shoes was my training and I survived.

Post a Comment