06 August 2008

What is all this stuff?

I remember growing up. There were seven of us, Mum and Dad plus five kids, sharing a single bathroom. If you looked in the shower recess in that bathroom you would have seen one bottle of shampoo, one bottle of conditioner and a bar of soap. Now I share a house with my wife and our six children and, again, there is only one bathroom. Yesterday I counted the bottles in the shower recess and there were 14. I'm not kidding. 14. I should point out that my two youngest children are not old enough to have showers, and have no need as yet for almond facial scrub or henna-enriched conditioning mousse. So six people (two adults and four children) somehow need 14 bottles of stuff in the shower. Is that normal? Am I the only one who wonders if that is a bit odd?

Incidentally, I said that when I was growing up there was "Mum and Dad plus five kids" but my close friends and family members may be inclined to point out that I am in fact one of six children. Strictly speaking that's correct, but my youngest brother wasn't born until after my older brother had left home, so at any given time when I was growing up there were only seven of us living there, so no more nit-picking.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

7 people sharing one bar of soap? Urrghh

MartyBanana said...

It was clean soap.

Anonymous said...

I once had a beautiful textured facecloth that I washed my face with everyday and would hang it in the shower to dry when I had finished. One day I walked in on Hamish ( who was about 7 ) to find him giving his backside a good scrub in the shower with my facecloth. After I had screamed in terror at what I was seeing, he said "it's ok mum, I do this every day". From that day on, no sharing in the bathroom, use what's yours only. For 6 people, having 14 bottles of stuff seems perfectly normal to me
LOve Jo

Anonymous said...

it's normal. You have teenagers, normal.
Marty, build another bathroom. Because when I eventually come to visit, I'll need my own.
- Karen

MartyBanana said...

That's hilarious Jo.

And Karen, you're hilarious too. "when I eventually come to visit" - hahahahaha.

Anonymous said...

Well as I grew up in the same house I thought that this was also normal behaviour! ....We have two bathrooms now and my husband and I share one and the kids share the other. After all 'We are family'
...Just don't leave hair on the soap tho, cos' thats URRGHH!!

Anonymous said...

"7 people sharing one bar of soap? Urrghh"

To quote someone that I can't remember, "It's soap! It's self-cleansing"

Post a Comment