11 August 2008

Health food? I don't think so.

I opened a new jar of coffee the other day and noticed a splash of big writing across the label that said "Natural Coffee Antioxidants". Naturally, this annoyed me. There may very well be natural coffee antioxidants in my freeze-dried coffee, but do they really have to try to portray everything as a health food? Is anyone really going to drink coffee for the antioxidants? I doubt it.

Even worse was the TV ad that was on a couple of years ago showing popular children's TV presenter Monica Trapaga extolling the healthful virtues of Kelloggs Coco Pops. Its health benefit? Well, according to Monica, "Kelloggs Coco Pops with milk is a source of calcium."

Noooo!!! Really???!

Here's a scoop: Cardboard with milk is a source of calcium, as is a bowl of sand with milk. Or a plate of confetti with milk.

Do they really think we are that stupid?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahahah i remember that ad! :P

Anonymous said...

but i drink coffee for its anti-Antioxidants. Dont forget that you breath oxygen through a cigar. So c'mon kids get smoken... For Health reasons

Anonymous said...

Health food smealth food!
bring on peanut butter and jam sandwiches, apples and baked beans! not all at once of course. But these were 3 ingredients in my diet when I was growing up .....ok yes they still are! ....and I'm not fat! ...or unhealthy!

Anonymous said...

I love the "All natural ingredients" or "natural flavouring"... natural doesn't equal 'good'. Snake venom is natural, I don't want that added to my food.

Post a Comment