01 April 2008

Loose lips sink (friend)ships

Suppose you’re friends with two couples, but the wives in those two couples don’t really like each other. They tolerate each other and you can all go out together and have a good time, but underneath there is this simmering ill-feeling born out of what? Jealousy? Disgust? Who knows? But it’s there and it bothers you that you have two friends who don’t like each other, and you feel powerless to fix the situation.

Now suppose one of those two wives confides in you the full extent of her ill-feeling toward the other one, and goes into great detail about all the big and little things about the other one that make steam come out of her ears. You turn ashen upon hearing the appalling litany of disgust and disdain pouring out of your usually pleasant friend. You didn’t know she knew words like that.

What should you do?

Well, you absolutely, definitely, without a doubt, should not, at any time, for any reason, repeat said ear-steaming tirade of brimstone to the well-meaning best friend of the husband of the other wife.

Don’t do it!

Wives of outback bloggers take note.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha. I love gossip.
Hey, Marty, my blog is back up and running.
- Karen

MartyBanana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MartyBanana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MartyBanana said...

Excellent! I thought maybe you had died or something.

Hey Everyone,
Go check out Karen's blog.

(Took me three goes to get the hyperlink right.)

Taz said...

I love those little link things, I used to know how to use them off by heart when I updated regularly =D.

I hate negativity in general, so it must be hard. Not to say I don't say negative things about people ever, sometimes I do, but harping and meaness about it just makes you feel worse.

Anger is a horrible thing, it is the only negative emotion we cling onto because it makes us feel strong, and like we are 'in the right' in any conflict.

Sounds like that is your friend's problem. The conflict is there, and she is grasping at anything to be angry about because then she's not the bad one.

I used to be a bit like that. Though I was a generally a passive person I'd get upset with people who offended me. My brother says 'it takes two people to offend, one to do the offending and one to be offended.' Not very tactful, but true =).

Taz said...

PS I see you've removed comment saving. Good for you (though I got my first spam in ages today).

Post a Comment