06 May 2007

Song of the arbitrary time period

I recently bought a double CD set called ‘The Essential Johnny Cash’. I wasn’t a huge Johnny Cash fan but I did like some of his songs and I thought I should listen to more of them. Well I have been surprised by how much I like these CDs and I have been listening to them quite a lot. I guess you could say that I'm now a huge Johnny Cash fan.

Of course all the classics are there; Ring Of Fire, Man In Black, Walk The Line, A Boy Named Sue, etc. My favourite song at the moment, though is One Piece At A Time. If you don't know it, it's about a General Motors factory worker who sets out to steal a Cadillac from the factory, one piece at a time. It takes him over 20 years and when he puts it all together there are, well, complications. Cadillacs changed a lot over the years so, for example, he has two headlights on one side and only one on the other, and when he puts the back end together he finds that there is only one tailfin. The end result is a car that would have looked hilarious.

If you can, go out and find 'One Piece At A Time' by Johnny Cash and listen to it.

"Red Rider, this is the Cotton Mouth in the Psycho-Billy Cadillac, come on."

"This is the Cotton Mouth and negatory on the cost of this machine there, Red Rider. You might say I went right up to the factory and picked it up, it’s cheaper that way."

"What model is it? It’s a ’49 ’50 ’51 ’52 ’53 ’54 ’55 ’56 ’57 ’58 ’59 automobile. It’s a ’60 ’61 ’62 ’63…"

No comments:

Post a Comment