28 February 2007

Murphy

I washed my car on Saturday and proved once again that Murphy’s Law is true. About an hour after I had finished washing the car, I had to drive to work to retrieve something from my office. It was a short trip and my car was out of the garage for less than ten minutes, but during that time it rained and my car got wet. It wasn’t raining when I left the house and by the time I got back it had stopped. Not only was that the only time it rained that day, but it was the only rain we had for the whole month of February. This is the desert. It almost never rains here. I almost never wash my car so you can see the obvious connection there, and Murphy prevailed against me.

He's sneaky like that. He creeps up on you when you least expect it. Like I said, it hardly ever rains here, so we wash our clothes and hang them out to dry without a single thought for the weather. We know that in a few hours we can bring them in again, dry and usually rather warm. But in the school holidays last year, we were preparing for a trip and hung three loads of washing on the line the day before our scheduled departure. That night it rained for the first time in weeks and we had to delay our trip by a day while we waited for our clothes to dry. Murphy got us again.

He's sneaky and he's waiting for the opportune moment to strike, so remember the old saying: when you least expect it, expect it.

No comments:

Post a Comment